A California teenager believed to be behind dozens of so-called swatting calls across the country was extradited to Florida on Wednesday after being charged last month in connection with a false report of a mass shooting at a mosque last year, the authorities said.
The teenager, Alan Winston Filion, 17, of Lancaster, Calif., was arrested on Jan. 18 in California and charged as an adult on four felony charges, including falsely reporting an act of terrorism with a bomb or weapon of mass destruction, the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office in Florida said in a statement on Wednesday. Mr. Filion arrived in Seminole County, Fla., on Wednesday and was being held without bond at the John E. Polk Correctional Facility, the sheriff’s office said.
Mr. Filion is to be arraigned on March 19, according to court records.
The F.B.I. considers swatting, which involves a false report of an emergency, a form of harassment. The agency has said that there had been an increase in swatting calls in the past few years at public places like airports and schools, as well as at the homes of well-known figures.
An investigation into Mr. Filion began last year after he called the Sanford Police Department in Florida on May 12, 2023, and said that he was heading into the Al Hayy mosque with a fully automatic rifle to carry out a mass shooting, according to an arrest affidavit.